How do I cancel an order and issue a refund?
Cancelling a Shopping Cart transaction is a two step process.
- To refund the Credit Card Holder: Login to your Payment Gateway account handling the behind-the-scenes credit card processing, find the credit card transaction, and reverse the charge on the person's credit card. If refunding part of the order, your gateway must be able to handle a partial refund.
- To cancel a full Shopping Cart transaction in your GiftTool database:
- Click Shopping Cart to view the Main Menu of this service.
- From the Customer Orders section, click Orders.
- Select List beside the month of interest.
- Click View beside the order.
- Click Cancel Full Order in the top right corner.
To cancel a portion of a Shopping Cart transaction in your GiftTool database:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the order ID, transaction date, customer's name, and the transaction amount. We will adjust your database within 2-5 business days.
- When cancelling part of the order and you have successfully refunded the partial amount through your payment gateway, please inform GiftTool which items in the order are to be reversed.
- This will create a new order entry to ensure a historical trail of all past transactions.
- A confirmation email is NOT sent to the customer once the order has been modified/cancelled.
- You have control of whether or not you also want to change the delivery status to Cancelled.
- GiftTool fees for modifying or cancelling an order are the same as any transaction.
Learn more about cancelling transactions for other services: Event Registrar, Membership, Donations, Pledge-a-thon.
Was this information helpful?