How do I create a Custom Orders report?
In addition to viewing reports for each service (Donations, Event Registrar, Pledge-a-thon, Shopping, Membership), you can now create
your own Custom Orders reports.
The Custom Orders report provides a break down by date of each
transaction processed across one or more GiftTool services. You can
also include filters to limit the report to one or more services,
activities, items purchased, etc.
This report is more detailed than the Journal report providing
additional information about the order (items purchased, tax receipt
numbers, member IDs, etc) and can accommodate filters to restrict the
data to specific parameters.
Create as many Custom Orders reports as required, useful for data
migration into other systems. Alternatively, generate specific Raiser's Edge import files
to migrate data into Raiser's Edge.
To create a Custom Orders report:
- Click the Account link located in the top right
corner of your GiftTool BackOffice account.
- Click Custom Report.
- To create a new report, click Add Custom Report.
- On page 1:
- Select a date range for your report by clicking the Date
- Set an end date of 3000-01-01 so that the report will
always include the most recent data, without having to
update the end data each time the report is downloaded.
- Enter the Report Name.
- Select the currency of the transactions to be displayed.
Net Orders: Check the box to have your report
provide the summary of all order modifications or order
cancellations to the original order. Net Orders will show a
single line for the registrant with a final summary of their
order. Selecting Net Orders is useful to view the final Balance
Due owed by your registrants. Alternatively, unchecking Net
Orders, will provide a list of each individual order processed
for this participant, including the original order and any
subsequent order modifications or cancellations.
One row per order: Check the box to have all
information for an order displayed on a single line, with
Registration Options, Session Options, Additional Items, or
answers to questions grouped in a single cell for each item
type. Unchecking this box will place any additional Registration
Options, Session Options, Additional Items, or answers to
questions in a new row.
- For GiftTool Services: Check the services to be
included in the report.
- For Also Include: Check the optional headers and
columns to be displayed (e.g. Report header, Items purchased,
Taxes, Balance due, Tax Receipt numbers, UK GiftAid, In Tribute
fields, and Profile fields). You can always disable these once
you have seen the report.
- Click Next
- On page 2, determine which fields should be displayed
in each column:
Drag & Drop
columns from the "Don't show columns" list to the
"Show columns" list or back to control what columns
- Drag & Drop columns up and down within the "Show
columns" list to control the order in which they appear in
- Tip: Try moving all the fields into the “Show Columns”. Once
you have seen the report, remove unnecessary columns as required
by dragging them back to the "Don't show columns" list.
- Click Next
[Optional] On page 3,
you can specify optional filters to eliminate unwanted records.
Having filters refines what information is included in your report,
and can be as simple or as complex as you need them to be.
- Choose a Field from
the first drop-down list.
- Choose an Operator
from the second drop-down list.
- In the third field, enter the value to match. For additional
tips on entering filter values, see examples below.
- Repeat to add more filters.
- Example 1. Suppose you would like to see a report for all the
orders from California. Here is how you enter this into the system
- Example 2. Now suppose you would like to see a report for all the
orders from California that are attending a specific event. Just add
a second condition.
By default, the word “AND” appears in the Logic column on
the right hand side. This means the report has been narrowed, so
that each line has to comply with all of the filters. So in Example
2, only the orders that both come from California and have
registered to attend the 29th Fundraising Gala show up on the
You can override the “AND” logic by specifying your own
logic. Here's how...
- Example 3. If you would like to see a report for all orders from
California, New York and Canada combined. Enter in your
Then on the Advanced Logic line below, link the conditions
with the word “OR”. This means that an order has to comply with only
one of the conditions to show up on the report. Entering information
into this line automatically overrides the AND logic in the right
If you have a complex set of conditions and you want to
combine “AND” and “OR” logic, see Advanced Filter Logic for
- Example 4. One-Time
- Example 5. Recurring
- Example 6. Event Registrar
- Registrants with Balance Due
- Example 7. Event Registrar
- Single Registration or Session Option
- Example 8. Event Registrar
- List of Donors across multiple events
- Example 9. Pledge-a-thon -
- Example 10. Pledge-a-thon -
- Each filter line must contain a field, operator, and value.
- When entering values, please note:
- Values are case sensitive.
- Be careful about adding unwanted extra spaces before or after
- When typing the value for an Activity, Item Name or
Sponsorship Details, you must type the exact name as spelled in
your setup. Tip: Run the report without this filter, to see
which name should be filter for. Then copy/paste the exact value
into your filter.
- Examples of some field values:
- Currency: CAD, USD, AUD, HKD,
- Service: Registrar,
Pledge-a-thon, Donation, Membership, Shop
- Customer: Registrant,
Participant, Sponsor, Pledger, Donor, Member, Shopper
- Order Status: Paid, Ordered,
Reversed, Cancelled, Imported
- For Order ID fields, the prefix letter indicating the service
used (R, S, D, etc) before the ID cannot be filtered on. Instead
filter on the Service field (Registrar, Shop, Donations, etc).
- Date values must be in the form YYYY-MM-DD.
- See advanced filter
logic for additional rules & examples.
- Click Save to save your report, or Save
& Runto download the saved report.
Note: A Report API
(Application Programming Interface) is automatically generated for
each Custom Orders report, allowing you to automatically pull data
into your own application or other database.
Was this information helpful?